Wednesday, February 15, 2012

An update!

Happy belated Valentines Day to all of you out there! I hope it found you well and delivered unto you a box of chocolate. Just wanted to give you an update on things over here. Remember that scarf from under the couch I mentioned last time? Well it's coming along swimmingly. Instead of knitting the whole thing end to end, I'm knitting to halves and then grafting it together in the middle. It's a lace pattern and I'm a bit weird about perfection so I can't stand the thought of it being wrapped about someone's neck, with one end laying the way it's supposed to and the other being upside down. So I took a page out of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules (great book by the way, has a million little helpful hints) and I'm knitting from start to middle on both of them and then grafting both middles together. It will be the first time I've ever done this, so wish me luck!
On an exciting note, my Latvian Mittens book came in the mail yesterday!

It's so pretty that I can barely stand it. I was flipping through it for about ten minutes before I had to grab my smallest DPN's and headed for the yarn store. I got all the colors I needed from the "Mill ends" bin, and I cast on that evening. Unfortunately I couldn't spend as much time as I wanted to on mittens of Latvian design, because Boyfriend and I had grown-up stuff to do like show up for our Sign Language conversation circle, and go grocery shopping. I did manage to get a few rows done between putting away groceries, making dinner, and then falling into bed. Want to see?
I know, not very impressive right now. But they will be! I'm also quite proud of myself for working with four colors at a time and stopping every few rows to unwind each ball from each other instead of waiting until they're hopelessly tangled and then throwing the whole thing at the wall (it has happened before and I promise you that it's not a pretty sight).
So that's what I'm up to, I hope this blog finds you well and I may or may not disappear into my mittens for the next few days. I'm sure I'll come up for air in the semi-near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment