Monday, January 30, 2012

When last we spoke.

Okay, I know it's been a while since I posted anything but I am no Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. So the January sweater is going well (although there's no way it'll be done in January) and I've even made some headway on Christmas 2012.
This weekend I went to one of the yarn stores in town and bought some of what I'll need for this endeavor. I started on Lauren's gift, did a swatch and everything, even got gauge on the first try (I should have known that it was all going too smoothly). Did a few inches on the project and it was about the size of two Laurens. Frogged it, cast on again (fewer stitches this time), worked a few inches and found that I had twisted the stitches when joining them. Frogged it, cast on again, joined neatly in the round, worked a few inches when I discovered I had dropped a stitch a few rounds back and my whole pattern was now skewed. Frogged it, did not cast on again. I'm waiting until the sight of the heap of yarn does not make me want to defenestrate the whole bloody thing (I learned a new word this weekend, "defenestrate". It means "to throw through or out a window").
So instead I cast on my dad's gift. I have doubts that he'll ever read this so I'm not worried about telling you that I'm making him socks. My dad is a musician, piano player to be precise, so he spends a lot of time in slacks and ties, playing restaurants, bars, clubs, weddings, festivals, you name it. I figured he could use a nice pair of dress socks so that's what I've begun. Nice dark navy color, some ribbing at the top and then stockinette the rest of the way through, nothing fancy. I know men can be tricky when it comes to anything that could be considered "girly" like cables or any kind of fancy stitch pattern so I'm going to keep it basic.
I know that's not much headway on Christmas 2012, but that I started at all is a mini miracle in of itself. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment