Monday, March 19, 2012

You know the one thing I hate about discontinued yarn?

It's discontinued. I've been scouring the internet for the last forty minutes looking for just one skein of Noro Silk Garden in colorway 268 B. Do you know how much of it I have found? Exactly zero balls. They still make colorway 268 B in Noro Silk Garden Sock but that will not work for what I'm trying to accomplish.
Let me explain to you what has happened.
After the crushing disappointment of dismantling the Holden shawlette, I went to Youtube in order to drown my sorrows in a new technique. Entrelac. For those of you who do not know the way of the wool, entrelac is just a fancy complicated way of manipulating yarn to make it look like a bunch of wool strips woven together in pretty colors. When done properly, it looks like this: This is not mine! I wish I was this good, but alas, Google handed this to me. When entrelac is encorperated into other parts of knitting you can get really cool things like this vest (again, not mine):Or this hat (once more, not mine):
The point is, it is really beautiful and can be quite complex. And I taught myself it last week. I am now in the process of knitting a Kindle Cozy for my e-reader (in entrelac naturally) and I got a skein of Noro Silk Garden from the Yarn store thinking that it would be enough to finish the project. Not the case. Now I come to find that the yarn is discontinued. Curses to the fickle goddess of knitting! She says: "Oh, you think you have enough for this project? I think not!" And discontinues the line. If I didn't have a final in 15 minutes, I would spend all afternoon scouring the interwebs. I'll have to continue the search another time... Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment