Saturday, March 10, 2012

Finally pictures!

But not the ones I promised you... I'm a fickle knitter, I can't be held accountable for this when all the different yarns are so pretty. Forgive me.
So updates on what I've been knitting: On the needles right now I have the Latvian mittens, the Timor shawl, an Elizabeth Zimmerman Pi shawl, and a Holden Shawlette. I'm not counting the projects that I haven't worked on in more than three months because at this point I just consider those projects lost.
The mittens are, unfortunately, boring me. I haven't worked on them in a few weeks because the color work is driving me bonkers. I absolutely hate weaving in ends and it seems that these mittens are only ends. Every repeat of the pattern I flip the darned thing inside out and then darn the darned thing! I sit for 20 minutes and curse while I wind bits of yarn through other bits of yarn. I can't do it. So the mitten is sitting on the kitchen table. I may or may not get back to it.
The Timor shawl is just sitting on the floor of my living room because I'm terribly bored by the pattern. The yarn is incredibly charming and soft with a wonderful colorway, but the pattern is dull enough to push me into the arms of another shawl. I'm sure I'll finish it eventually. Maybe.
The Elizabeth Zimmerman Pi shawl is wonderful. I am so in love with it that I want to knit on it always. One problem with it is that I ran out of wool. It's about half finished and I really want to continue but this wool is something that I fished out of the stash. Something without a ball band or any indication from where it came. I took a trip to the knitting store but they don't have it, so I took a trip to the other knitting store and they don't have it either. I have no idea how to find another ball of it, I am worried that it will never be finished.
The Holden Shawlette is where my affections now lay. I'm using this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/holden-shawlette and I absolutely love it. I'm using a hand-spun, hand-dyed wool that I picked up months ago. It is quite literally the nicest yarn I have ever bought. It's laceweight, 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon. Just a bit bouncy and wicked soft. I've been saving it for the perfect project and I think I've finally found it. It's in a colorway called Fabulous Fall and it is truly beautiful. Want proof?

The picture doesn't begin to do it justice but it's the best I can give you for now. What you can't see in the photo is that there is green and mauve mixed in with the orange and red. Up close it looks like all the leaves of fall have been scooped up and worked into this colorway. You want a close up you say?

I'm only working in stockinette and garter right now, but after I've increased to the appropriate amount of stitches, I will begin the lacework! I'm both nervous and excited for that because I haven't really looked at the lace chart yet, so I don't know what kind of techniques I'll be needing to do. I would hate to knit half a shawlette only to discover that I don't have the proper skill level to finish it!
And before you lose all hope for me ever finishing a project, I have finished one. It's another simple little shawlette for my little sister who has a birthday coming up. Very simple pattern, finished it in just a few hours. It's blocking now but once it's finished I'll try and take pictures of it.
Happy knitting everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment