Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Muscle Memory

Hello my lovelies!

Today I've been thinking a lot about starting new things. New knitting projects, new video games, new workout regiments, just "New". Let me tell you, there is nothing wrong with "new". I will never be the person to tell you not to try the new thing (unless the new thing is eating copious amounts of Taco Bell, that I simply cannot condone).

But there is something to be said for the old and the familiar. I have re-read the Harry Potter books dozens of times, I've watched Jurassic Park so many times that you wouldn't believe me if I told you the number, and I tend to make the same comfort food recipes over and over.

When it comes to knitting, my dears, the familiar pattern that I keep coming back to is a basic, top down Raglan sweater.

This particular pattern can be found here.
 There's something about the neat little shoulder increases and the uniformity of the stockinette stitches that just sends me to a happy place... I've knit many over the years, from sock weight to bulky, from toddler size to one large enough to fit a beluga of a man. They're just a peaceful little garment.

I've been working on a new one, just for me.

It's not much yet, but I think one day soon it might actually resemble a sweater.
Out of all the Raglan sweaters I've ever knit, I have never ever kept one for myself. I think it'll be nice, maybe just this once, to make something just for me... 90% of the knit wear I produce ends up going into the Christmas bin for gifts come the holidays. I like to knit fun, bright, exciting things, but I'm not one for wearing fun, bright or exciting things. I think an off-white pullover will suit my style just fine.

The point is, my sweets, that new and shiny things are great, but sometimes you just need the old and familiar. Sometimes your brain just needs a little break, and you can rely on muscle memory to take you to a happier place.

P.S. because he seems to be a crowd favorite, here is Digdug being adorable:


Stay well, my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment