Saturday, January 27, 2018

Deadlines

Lately my spirit-guide, Tara, and I  have been putting a lot of time and effort into honing our respective crafts. I am a knitter, spinner, crocheter, and Tara is a knitter, spinner, dyer, quilter, seamstress-extraordinaire. Now, those are a lot of hats to change between, but we're managing it without losing steam, or dedication.

Part of how we're further focusing on our craft, is that we've started to go to festivals, crawls, and classes. About two years ago now, Tara and I decided to attend the Oregon Flock & Fiber Festival  (OFFF) which is held in Canby, Oregon every September. We had such a blast with the fiber, and the alpacas, and the people, that we decided to make it part of our regular itinerary. In fact, we've already started plotting our bucket list of crafty events for the whole year!

One of our many friends from OFFF
March has us participating in the Rose City Yarn Crawl (which we attended and completed last year as well), April will bring us the Knot Another Fiber Festival, and September will bring us back around to the OFFF.

Each time Tara and I attend one of these crafty events, I find that both our friendship and our dedication to our craft just gets stronger and stronger. It's an amazing feeling to be surrounded by people who all have the same passion, and who know the struggle of dropping stitches, and not finishing projects, and dropping stitches, and running out of yarn, and DROPPING STITCHES!

But all that being said, I've had one insurmountable problem in attending these events... I can't bring myself to wear anything that I've knitted. Tara rolls up in wonderful hand-knit socks, and scarves, and dresses she's sewn herself, and it's wonderful to see her light up with confidence when people compliment her talent and skill, but I can't manage to put myself out there like her.

So in name of growth and furthering of my craft, I have given myself two deadlines to complete by the Knot Another Fiber Festival, which I will then wear to the festival. One of which is the Raglan Sweater.


I've now split off the sleeves and am just working on the body. 13 beautiful inches of stockinette stitch to complete before I come back to knit the sleeves. I know it looks a little bit... lumpy right now, but hopefully that blocks out.

The other one is another Clapotis by Kate Gilbert.



I'm using a beautiful yarn from Indie Dyer Collective In The Deep Hue Sea. I picked it up at the Columbia Gorge Fiber Festival (Which has been renamed as the Knot Another Fiber Festival) last year and it has been on my "to knit" list forever. This particular skein is the lace-weight version of the colorway Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.


Between the name and the colors, I couldn't not get it... I actually got one skein on one day of the festival (which I'm using for Clapotis now), and then went back to the booth on the last day of the festival and got myself another skein, because it was so pretty and squishy. I"m a sucker for pretty and squishy.

So I'll let you lovelies know how the progress on those goes. I'm feeling pretty good about their progress now, as I have another 89 days to make sure these are off the needles and blocked. Keep your fingers crossed for me...

P.S. Here are two things that made me stupid happy recently.

Digdug got a new dragon toy that's as big as he is.

My degree finally came in the mail. I'm officially a graduate.



No comments:

Post a Comment