Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Anyone want to see what I've been working on?



 The many fiber-related things I've been working on since first arriving in Timor!

 First, the spinning:
I've only done a few batches from the raw wool I brought with me here. I haven't set the Purple or the Green yet, but I'm hoping to spin some yellow and some pink and work it into a traditional Timorese pattern.

 This is a scarf that I worked up in about a day and a half using the "Snowdrift Mobius Cowl" pattern that you can find here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snowdrift-mobius-cowl
(While looking up this pattern on Ravelry I found this one, also called "Snowdrift" and I want to make it! I'll add it to the list. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snowdrift-2)

This guy, I call "Fire Ant". Mostly because it's small and red, but also because I'm watching a Planet Earth documentary and insects are the main focus of the episode. This little shawlette was a project I worked up because it was simple and I was incredibly bored. The only really interesting thing about it is it's scalloped edge.

See? It's not especially fancy, but I like a little flared edge to spice things up.

This is "Sea Glass". It's a little draw-string bag that fastens around my waist so that when I'm frolicking about on the beach (be it snorkeling, wading, or just lounging), if I find an interesting piece of sea glass or shell, I can just toss it in the bag and bring it home with me. I am an avid sea glass collector so an accessory like this it just what I need.

Now the next things I'm going to show you are not my work, but in the interest of the fiber arts, I must show you what I got.

These little beauties are called Taiis (ty-es). It's an incredibly beautiful and complex form of weaving using tiny silk threads. There's a Taiis market not too far from our house where women have stalls where they sell their gorgeous works. I'm afraid and excited that I might build up quite the collection while I'm here.

So that's what I've been up to lately, not a whole lot, but you know how it goes. I'll keep you guys updated with new knits and crazy stories.

P.S. I've tried to write this post like, four times, but each time my computer has crashed or I get booted off the internet, or my battery dies, or something else that causes me to lose the entire post. Fifth time's the charm?


No comments:

Post a Comment